#669557 August 26th 2014 6:43 pm
J
JHQM Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
Hey there!
Alright so I need to make my introduction, I'll go do that in the proper thread in a moment, but first I need some help!
I recently bought a 1992 Dodge B250 shorty which wasn't/isn't running. The price was right and the body, frame, interior are in good condition so I pulled the trigger, but now I've got to get it on the road.

I could just take this in to a mechanic but I'd rather get to know it by doing the work myself. I've got plans to do some work on it before spending the winter hanging out down in the states to avoid the snow. I better get to know her before rolling across the continent..

Here's the situation:
It tries to turn over, the engine does turn but it doesn't start. The previous owner did some work and there are pieces pulled that I'm sure need to be hooked up, but to be honest I don't know what they are or where they go..

Here are some pictures, let's get these in place first!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I know! I know! TMW.. you should see the other side.. Like I said the price was right.

Any help with point me in the direction of where those parts need to connect is very much appreciated!

Last edited by JHQM; August 26th 2014 6:46 pm.
Re: New (old-ish) non-running van...
JHQM #669569 August 26th 2014 8:47 pm
Maniac
Maniac
Window count looks good to me!

Those are obviosuly vacuum operated devices, but beyond tyhat I don't know what they are. Does the van have the vacuum diagram under the hood? If so, you can trace the hoses that are still on the engine until you find ones that are missing, then match it up to those pieces that have been removed. I am sure someone who is more familiar with the 90s era Dodges will be along to ientify those parts.

Have you pulled trouble codes yet? To get the trouble codes on a computerized Dodge you have to do the "key dance": Turn the key ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON and leave it on. DON'T START THE ENGINE! "ON"" is the midle position where the dash gets power but the engine doesn't turn over. After the key dance the trouble codes will display in the odometer or the check engine light will flash.

This webpage gives good instructions about the "key dance" as well as an explanations of how to read the codes and what the codes mean: http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes/

Post what codes come up. Good luck!

Windows- they're what make a van worth owning!
Reed #669577 August 26th 2014 8:59 pm
H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
You said that it tries to turn over and then that it does turn over. To start with, get some screws, nails, or something to block off all open vacuum lines that you are unsure where they hook to. Make sure all spark plug wires, coil, and distributor are intact and hooked up. My guess is that PO couldn't get it running and gave up and sold it to you. Check that fuel pump is running and fuel pressure is correct. I added a compression Tee to my fuel line before the Throttle body to allow a gauge to be plumbed in to check this. You may have another provision to check this. I think GM's were about 13 psi on their TBI engines. Not sure about dodge. Make sure it has gas in tank. Try spraying a small amount of ether into throttle body while cranking. If it coughs, then you have spark, but probably are not getting fuel.

1992 Chevy G20, 110" wheelbase, Mark III conversion, L31/4L80e swap, Express wiring harness.
Reed #669590 August 26th 2014 9:24 pm
J
JHQM Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
Thanks for the tip Reed!

I got:

Code 12 The battery has been disconnected and the computer (ECU) has been reset.

I had the battery disconnected. Also I should mention that the PO did say that he thought it only needed a new ECU, but they always say, "it just needs _____."

Code 45 Turbo engines boost above predefined range

I must have counted incorrectly.. twice. I'll go out and try again.

HonestRansy #669592 August 26th 2014 9:29 pm
J
JHQM Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
Sorry, it DOES turn over, just no firing up.
I'll check fuel pressure tomorrow afternoon. I'm fairly sure it's there since I unscrewed a cap somewhere and pressed the valve that looked like one in your tires, and it shot gasoline at me. I'll get a guage and take the steps to make sure it's at the correct pressure.
Thanks for the direction HonestRansy, I'll plug the holes and take a shot tomorrow.

JHQM #669595 August 26th 2014 9:43 pm
J
JHQM Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
Okay so after actually reading the code 45 page, it makes complete sense. It's all these damn vacuum lines! I've got the service manual, it tells me what should connect to where, but it doesn't do me much good when I can't tell what the disconnected parts are by looking at them.

JHQM #669618 August 27th 2014 1:03 am
Maniac
Maniac
spend some time looking closely all over the engine for missing hoses and uncapped vacuum fittings. Check over the throttle body carefully. Do you know what the previous owner did most recently to the engine? Chanes are the owner had to remove those lines to do whatever he did, so that might give you some idea of where those pieces go. Start looking for open vacuum nipples on the throttle body. If you find any, cap them and try and start the van.

JHQM #669619 August 27th 2014 1:04 am
Maniac
Maniac
From where I am sitting, there appears to be a disconnected electrical connector near each rear corner of the engine. Do those connectors match up to any of the removed pieces?

JHQM #669633 August 27th 2014 8:47 am
old hand
old hand
Ransy and Reed will get it runnin if anyone can.
The tire pressure thingy is on your fuel rail.
if you pressed it and it shot out gas at high pressure,
chances are, you have fuel.
The quickest easiest thing to do now is, pull a spark plug,
place it in the spark plug wire and hold it to the block
bump the engine
lets see some fat blue spark and make sure we have fire
yay

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Astro, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (Wedgy), 20 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 130
CatFish 28
frscke1 28
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,747