Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Inexpensive paint job... at least to make my van ONE color
Denooch #692971 July 31st 2015 1:49 am
Denooch Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Oh my gosh. Thank you all for the feedback. That blue paint job looks pretty dang good for some thinned rustoleum. I'm going to give it a shot and I'll be sure to post some pictures once she's not an eyesore. Now deciding on a color.....

Denooch #697061 October 03rd 2015 12:59 am
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
I'm going to try the TSC (tractor supply company) paint. They say to thin it with Mineral Spirits instead of the recommended thinner, and it lays down pretty good. I've spoken to 2 people recently that tried it, and they had good luck, so I'm going to give it a whirl. I'll just spot primer with a spray can, and scuff the rest. Single stage enamel will lay down over ANYTHING.... lol

I'm not building a show car, more of a 50/50 job..... 50 feet or 50 mph!

Lunchbox2 #697072 October 03rd 2015 10:12 am
Maniac
Maniac
Welcome Angela smile

[Linked Image]

Proud member: Shenandoah Valley Vans

............" REALITY IS JUST AN ELABORATE ILLUSION"..................

Denooch #697129 October 04th 2015 1:35 am
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
You know Denooch, if you're bound and determined to keep the cost to an absolute minimum, while giving yourself the best possible odds of success, please be sure to *thoroughly* clean the exterior to remove any grime, oil, grease, silicon, etc.

Detergent chemicals like TriSodium Phosphate come to mind. You can buy conveniently small boxes of it in powder form in the paint sections at many stores such as Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, etc.

You'll have to scuff the surface to break up any gloss for best adhesion, but the smoother you make the surface before applying your paint the better.

Be prepared for plenty of exercise - a van is a *big* canvas!

Please be sure to post a few pictures of your masterpiece! smile

-It's been such a LONG TIME... BlueShift>> 1981 Dodge Ram B250 Custom Sportsman Maxi Van

[Linked Image]

It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts...

Are you living to work, or working to live?

[Linked Image]

Learning from my own mistakes is good, learning from yours would be much better! [Linked Image]
Denooch #697206 October 05th 2015 8:54 am
old hand
old hand
I've spray painted complete cars with rattle cans before and they turn out... Well, better than before I guess. The key to any method of painting is good prep. And after you get done with the hours upon hours that it will take to properly prep a vehicle that large, you will definitely question if you want to mess with rattle cans.

Plus, the amount of rattle cans that it would take to cover a van would be insane! For the cost of all of those cans, I'd bet that you could hit up harbor freight and get their cheap purple gun (actually works decent), the hose, and a cheap used compressor. For reference, it took close to 20 cans to paint my 1981 Corolla, and that was one coat. It really should have been clear coated since it faded pretty fast.

Just some food for thought.

[Linked Image]
Denooch #697847 October 14th 2015 7:29 pm
V
journeyman
journeyman
V
Angela,

If you haven't tackled this project yet, I have another option for you. From your post, it looks like you're just looking to do one color, simple, to cover up the fact it currently looks like a creeper van. The cheapest and best way to ameliorate this and not get pulled over by the cops for looking like a weirdo is to use Plasti-Dip.

It's like a liquid vinyl wrap. It's pretty hardy once it dries on but the great thing is that if you mess up while applying you can peel it off. Or when you've socked away enough money to give it the sweet paint job of your choosing complete with a mural of a unicorn fighting a sea serpent, you can easily remove it. As or maintenance you wash with warm soap and water. That's it.

I've seen expensive exotic cars, forged wheels, motorcycle baggers Plasti-Dipped. Really expensive items -- you name it, it has been done. You can buy or rent a spray gun and cans of dip and do it yourself, or pay someone to do it for you. I see you're in Long Beach. I used to live in SoCal -- tons of auto customization places that will dip cars. That's like the mecca.

P.S. I don't work for them. I just bought an 86 Beauville and while the paint is fine, I've been thinking of dipping it satin black until I can afford to do the paint job I'd really want. If it looks lame, I peel it off and no harm to the finish....

Denooch #697994 October 16th 2015 9:19 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Eastwood sells their version of that.

EASTWOOD

Denooch #698638 October 27th 2015 7:55 pm
H
stranger
stranger
H
newbie here too but i've been learning about paint and body work via my bf who is helping me paint our/my van....

just an idea....if you can find someone who does paint jobs outside of a body shop, like independently in their garage with an air compressor and a spray gun, its likely you can just talk to them and tell em what you're going for and that it doesn't need to be perfect and they will knock it out for cheaper than a shop. of course, having someone like paint your van in a garage condition comes with risks of course so youd have to check out their work and trust your judgement, but outside of having it painted in a proper paint booth its never gonna be perfect and you're likely gonna end up with some dust stuck in the paint anyway if you're doing it yourself.

Also, go to an auto paint store and ask them if they have any mistints, the one up the street from us has gallons of good paint for 150$ less than you'd be spending if it wasnt a mistint....

for the record, I'm getting ready to have my bf paint and show me how to paint my van with paint we bought for $50 up the road and its damn good paint apparently. Hes got the whole compressor spray gun set up, and i know we're gonna probably get some dust in there, but im kind of in your shoes where my van just looks like crap and i need it to be one color to get the ball rolling.

sorry for writing a book, hope some of that was helpful! I'd love to see before and after photos of your process if you end up spray painting it

Denooch #698702 October 29th 2015 4:01 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
To keep dust down a little better you can wet the floor or driveway with water after sweeping off any major debris.

-It's been such a LONG TIME... BlueShift>> 1981 Dodge Ram B250 Custom Sportsman Maxi Van

[Linked Image]

It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts...

Are you living to work, or working to live?

[Linked Image]

Learning from my own mistakes is good, learning from yours would be much better! [Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 21 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users