Rate Thread
help modifying a visor
#694797 September 01st 2015 11:18 am
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
I found this visor on Craigs list for cheap. It is from an earlier Dodge van and I am modifying it to fit my 87. I just need to extend the sides to reach the windshield pillars and get the right angle I want. I mocked it up in cardboard and then cut some thin sheet metal using the cardboard templates.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Question: should I bond the sheet metal extensions to the fiberglass and then glass over the whole thing? Or should I take the sheet metal out and just build it up with glass? I know this thing will flex and twist in the wind. Maybe the sheet metal will make the sides too rigid? Let me know what you guys think.

Bob Z.
Re: help modifying a visor
maxpanic #694806 September 01st 2015 3:48 pm
enthusiast
enthusiast
It all mainly depends how much work you want to do, and how you want the end product to look.

In some ways, paint it and your done.
I cant tell how thick the metal is, but there shouldnt be anything wrong with mounting it the way it is. It should work fine. You want the mounting points to be firm, and not twist.

In another way, incase the metal in fiberglass, sand, paint and mount.

The long way around would be to use filler, make a mold,
and create a new one. You could even sell anything else you made with the mold.

maxpanic #694816 September 01st 2015 5:54 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
I'm not sure how many fasteners per side you really need, but my vintage visor had a bunch (13 per side, most likely *far* more than necessary) when I pulled it off a wrecked mid Dodge van.

[Linked Image]

I've seen as few as two fasteners per side, though I'd not trust that to be sufficient to prevent stress cracks. There's apt to be plenty of lift and flutter on something as big and unaerodynamic as a visor in such a turbulent airflow area as the front end of a van's roof!

In case you think the ends aren't going to withstand the stress of flutter without cracking out your fasteners, you may want to consider building some sort of block to support the very center of your visor to reduce flutter substantially. Here's the wood brace my vintage Dodge visor had in the center:

[Linked Image]

The form fit arc portion of the wood brace was in contact with the leading edge of the roof. It was held to the roof with two long screws. Ugly, but effective. The flat portion of the wood extended out over the windshield.

BTW, McMaster Carr sells the snap cap style screw covers which are used to create a more finished appearance on exterior screws:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#screw-caps/=yr4pgo

Trucksnvans.com used to carry snap caps in multiple colors including chrome and gold, but they all appear to have been discontinued, at least from their website listings.

-It's been such a LONG TIME... BlueShift>> 1981 Dodge Ram B250 Custom Sportsman Maxi Van

[Linked Image]

It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts...

Are you living to work, or working to live?

[Linked Image]

Learning from my own mistakes is good, learning from yours would be much better! [Linked Image]
Ram4ever #694916 September 02nd 2015 2:47 pm
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Thanks guys! After reading a ton of posts here about mounting a visor, I am going to leave the sheet metal in. It's very thin anyways. I think the bigger issue will be the center support. There's a glassed in steel center support that needs to be shortened for my application. After looking closely, I can tell it has been welded. Why? I am betting it was broken once before. I think Ram4ever's got the right math here. I better over-engineer this thing so I only have to do it once.

Bob Z.
maxpanic #695014 September 03rd 2015 8:17 am
old hand
old hand
Sort of related question to this, how do you guys with visors keep the mounting holes sealed and prevent water from entering there? Seems like it would be very easy for rust to start there especially with the holes?

[Linked Image]
maxpanic #695039 September 03rd 2015 2:11 pm
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
I'm going to use a marine product called "life seal" on the screw holes and also double stick mounting tape where the visor meets the windshield pillars.

Bob Z.

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (SDMickey), 6 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
rick74, Keithl, G10brett, Debusen, mkmc69
12734 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 172
Wedgy 43
frscke1 28
CatFish 27
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,843