Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Darn Door is Dropping!
nikothenomad #684207 March 12th 2015 3:12 am
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
You could put a 2x4 on top of a floor jack and push up on the bottom of the door a little to unload the hinge pins, which might allow you a better view of what's actually happening.

This is also a good way to simplify hinge adjustments.

If pressing hinge pins and bushings isn't to your taste, you could always just replace the entire hinge; they're really not all that expensive for how important they are:

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/vn/full.aspx?Page=59

Again, use a 2x4 on top of a floor jack to suspend your door, that way when the hinge is removed, the door won't move by much, and the remaining hings isn't overstressed.

As WrcSixeight said, a salvage yard is a great less expensive source, if they have any Dodge vans.

-It's been such a LONG TIME... BlueShift>> 1981 Dodge Ram B250 Custom Sportsman Maxi Van

[Linked Image]

It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts...

Are you living to work, or working to live?

[Linked Image]

Learning from my own mistakes is good, learning from yours would be much better! [Linked Image]
nikothenomad #684329 March 13th 2015 5:00 pm
N
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
N
Thanks, ya'll! I plan to address the driver's door definitely once we are in GA where floor jack and all sorts of other creative tools are available to me in the even that the pins give me trouble. Once I get the driver's door done I will hit up the cargo doors. My first attempt will of course be the cheapest option which is just pins and bushings. If that fails then I may go toward the full hinge replacement but I'll put everything I have into the pin and bushing replacement before I resort to new hinges.

Will post photos in about a month once I start the process.

Nicole
1988 Dodge B250 5.9l 360 Ram CamperVan / 727 Tranny / Rochester Quadrajet Carb
www.nikothenomad.blogspot.com
nikothenomad #684352 March 13th 2015 8:54 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Just so you feel better, it seems to be going around!

I had to work on my driver door upper hinge today; the hinge pin had walked out vertically, escaping the lower pivot! I took an 18" water pump pliers and pressed it right back where it belongs! smile

Best of luck!

-It's been such a LONG TIME... BlueShift>> 1981 Dodge Ram B250 Custom Sportsman Maxi Van

[Linked Image]

It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts...

Are you living to work, or working to live?

[Linked Image]

Learning from my own mistakes is good, learning from yours would be much better! [Linked Image]
nikothenomad #684374 March 13th 2015 11:06 pm
S
veteran
veteran
S
pins may fix it

Re: Darn Door is Dropping! (IT'S TIME TO DO IT!)
nikothenomad #697386 October 08th 2015 9:28 am
N
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
N
O.K. Reviving this thread. Wish me luck and have your fingers and toes crossed for me.

The hinge pins have arrived, the sun is shining and we are going to do the hinge pin replacement on our front driver's door TODAY!

<<Insert Slightly Nervous Looking Emoticon Here>>

Nicole
Replacing Door Hinge Pins!
nikothenomad #697402 October 08th 2015 2:29 pm
N
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
N
And, here's the 1st Quarter Report!

After supporting the door with a floor jack, the pin came out easier than we anticipated. Does that mean it was quick? Well, nothing I do is quick. I am a very slow, deliberate and contemplative worker. I also try one thing, then another, then another. My computer programming teacher used to say that I 'shoot from the hip' when others plan the whole thing before starting.

So... our first step (using a nail puller) and banging it under the super flush pin top went well and we were encouraged.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We saw the pin rise up immediately but then were stuck at that height because the nail puller slot was too small to go further around the pin shaft.

This is where all of our time went... searching for something we could use to pull the darn thing up. We tried several ideas and even came up with a few really creative ones (that didn't work) before deciding to cut the darn thing.

Before cutting however, I decided that there just had to be something easier than what we were thinking. So, I jammed the tip of the nail puller under that tiny pin lip and said, "Before I go to cutting, I'm going to try to stand on it."

[Linked Image]

The dang thing moved! EASILY!

Leverage... DUH!

[Linked Image]

Once the pin raised up a bit more you could see that it had worn down where it sat in the bushing and was leaving much room to play.

Upon remembering that leverage was our friend, we continued with a series of creative 'build ups' to get the right amount of it and the pin worked its way to the last 1/4" quite easily.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We were busy using all four hands to manage the boards we wedged with the nail puller and hammer and didn't get a picture but essentially it was a process each time the pin moved a bit we had to adjust our wedge system.

[Linked Image]

Eventually it was free! You can see the worn rings where it sat in the brass bushings that are physically smaller than the rest of the pin. You can also see the dent we put in our wheel well from a failed attempt to leverage from the underside. Bad idea!

Next up... remove the brass bushings and put in brass bushings. (Quarters 2 & 3) If it goes well, there won't be a halftime.

Nicole
Replacing Door Hinge Pins!
nikothenomad #697408 October 08th 2015 4:44 pm
N
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
N
O.K. So, the 2nd and 3rd quarters went rather well.

2nd Quarter:

To remove the bushings I had to remove the door half of the hinge.

[Linked Image]

I would have to say that it appears the original door hinge lower hole may be a bit too large (the original brass bushing just fell out and the new one was pretty easy to slide in).

The upper bushing was a little more work but broke as I pried up on the lip instead of bending like I thought it would. All in all (before I broke the upper one) the bushings didn't really look too bad.

[Linked Image]

Although we could go ahead and replace the whole thing now due to the slightly enlarged lower hole we decided to put it back together with the new pin and bushings and see how long it holds up. The rest of the hinge looked solid so hopefully it will get us through this next year of travel and at least we now know how to do the process and what we need.

Another part that is worn out on the original door hinge is the little bar that receives the wheels that keep it open.

[Linked Image]

The new bushings certainly make it sit better on top. Pic with old bushings is first and new ones second.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Putting the hinge piece back in place and lining the bolts up with the set plate inside the door was a challenge that I am glad I had four hands for. My better half did some minute raising and lowering of the jack until I could get everything just right and then they went right in.

[Linked Image]

Putting the pin in was super smooth all the way to...

[Linked Image]
HERE!

This last bit in the 4th quarter is giving us quite a time. We are on the hunt for some better tools for the job. The angle of the pin isn't terrible but the wiring for the door is super stiff and gets in the way something awful.

We shall rise above however and this will get done!

Nicole
Re: Replacing Door Hinge Pins!
nikothenomad #697414 October 08th 2015 6:27 pm
N
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
N
Complete!

We've done it. Replaced the door hinge pin and bushings on the bottom of the driver's door.

Before

[Linked Image]

After

[Linked Image]

We even managed to use what we learned (ok, what my better half learned - she deserves the credit for this one) from our long drawn out experience of installing french doors to align the door in a way it hasn't been in a very long while.

Very happy and pleased with how this turned out.

Nicole
nikothenomad #697417 October 08th 2015 7:08 pm
S
veteran
veteran
S
Nice job you two, did it take all the slop out of the door? bow yay cheers

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Astro, Ram4ever