Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
90 Shorty Chevy Interior Decorating
#700016 November 23rd 2015 5:17 pm
W
OP Offline
W
Picked up this a few months back, and have been fighting the TBI to get it running. Finally traced it to a few different problems and got it all sorted out.

Ive been building motorcycles and making custom upholstered motorcycle seats for a few years. So im going to try and use those skills to apply to the van...

The van was bought to haul motorcycles, and hopefully in the future a trailer of motorcycles with room to sleep in the back of the van. I plan on going to as many shows as i can next year to help and promote the business as I am planning on going full time and quitting the day job...

I want to keep the back open so i can stuff 2 bikes in it, but i want it to be finished. I also need at least a bench seat for passengers or maybe some drop seats mounted to the wall. I havent decided yet.

The van has some conversion van seats in it now from the PO but i got the stock seats with it. I pulled the covers off the stockers last night to start making templates for new upholstery.

Here is said van... More to come!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: 90 Shorty Chevy Interior Decorating
westonboege #700022 November 23rd 2015 6:52 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
No bench seat.

Get three of those round bases for mounting tables. Place them three wide where the bench would have been. And install three of these (modified) to haul people! (with your custom made covers, of course). Pull them to haul bikes.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dyno_Dave; November 23rd 2015 6:52 pm.
westonboege #700025 November 23rd 2015 8:13 pm
Going to the desert ....

[Linked Image]

After I set up, I sleep in a bed look at the 57 sec mark..

SUNSHINE VANS-VAN DIEGO
ADRENALIN BY THE GALLON & CHASIN RACIN
ONE FOR THE DIRT & ONE FOR THE STREETS
'93 CHEVY G30 454 4X4 SPORTVAN EXT 146" WB
'92 CHEVY G30 454 BEAUVILLE EXT 146" WB
westonboege #700054 November 24th 2015 10:24 am
W
OP Offline
W
Haha... those seats would be rad! Maybe i could cover them in some nice leather! Make some saddles. I should have left the motor alone so when it bucks its like riding a bull haha...

Frscke1 looks like you have quite a few nice setups! Thats pretty sick!

I got started last night some. I was in the shop sewing a few motorcycle seat covers and decided to get started on the van. I decided to wait on getting the seats covered as I dont have alot of extra vinyl in stock.

I pulled the headliner last night, and started figuring out what im gonna do.

The headliner should be one of the easier pieces to make. Im planning on doing black vinyl with dark brown stitching in a diamond pattern. Then ill have a pleated section in the middle about 5" wide to break up the two sides...

Here is the start... i have a few days off for thanksgiving, so hopefully i can make some moves this weekend..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

westonboege #700096 November 25th 2015 12:33 am
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
That's gonna be nice. Gotta be nice to have the skills and tools you have to do what you are.

westonboege #700105 November 25th 2015 9:04 am
R
journeyman
journeyman
R
Very nice van. Have you put a bike in the back yet to see how much room youll have. I hauled my triumph in my 1980 chevy van and it was a lil cramped. I had a bench seat turned sideways along the driver side wall behind the driver seat. Plus I had the long wheel base not a shorty.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

westonboege #700164 November 26th 2015 11:43 am
W
OP Offline
W
Hopefully it will turn out nice.. Its alot different making a motorcycle seat that is like 1/4 yard of material/stitching. Ill probably need 10 yards of vinyl to do what i want with the interior. Thats alot of stitches! haha...

Ive had bikes in the back of the van. Fits jap bikes pretty well. Ill have to try and fit my 69 shovelhead in the back as its pretty stretched out and has a tall sissy bar on it... I have a g30 as well that we pack two bikes in the back and have room to sleep in the back.

Long term im planning on having an enclosed trailer... a very small one. So hopefully the back of the van will be sleeping quarters... but around town i want to be able to use the van to grab bikes...

I

westonboege #700167 November 26th 2015 12:26 pm
Lunchbox has a bunch of good trim parts for our G series ...
https://www.vanning.com/threads/ubbthreads.php/topics/700158/re-1987-g-van-parts#Post700158

westonboege #701270 December 23rd 2015 5:49 pm
W
OP Offline
W
Well I started my vacation today and have a week or so off work. Decided to get some stuff done on the van.

First off with vinyl hanging from the stock perforated headliner it would probably be too weak. At least the one I had would. I got some of the thinnest plywood i could find at home depot.

I traced the stock headliner pattern onto the plywood and cut out.

[Linked Image]

Then I traced the headliner onto the oversized sewn vinyl sheet. I sewed a few locking stitches around the edge of the vinyl and trimmed the rest off.

Now I had my vinyl to glue to the plywood.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I used my spray glue and fixed the vinyl lined up the best I could with the critical holes i needed in the plywood for the dome light, center screw, and sliding door notch.

[Linked Image]

The plywood I bought was pretty thick... A hair thicker than the stock perf board. So i took a screwdriver and pryed along the edge of the rail that the headliner slides in. This will give me extra room for the vinyl plus the thicker cardboard.

Here you can see the sound deadening i plastered all over the ceiling...

[Linked Image]

Took alot of fitting, pulling it out, and refitting to get it in right. My alignment is a little off, but I think it came out pretty nice. I havent drove the van since I finished, but after i took the stock headliner off the cab was way louder. Now its sound deadened and double insulated. Should be nice and quiet.

[Linked Image]

Also in these photos you can see my wooden steering wheel a friend picked up at a local swap meet..

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (MufflerMan Mike), 13 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 130
CatFish 28
frscke1 28
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,747