#700174 November 27th 2015 2:04 am
V
VanSolo Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
V
Hey all,

First, thanks for all the responses to prior questions. I'm still learning the ins-and-outs of this old machine that's about as big, old, and nimble as an Ankylosaurus. But every bit as cool. As a reminder, it's an 86 Chevy Beauville G20. I will post pictures.

So... I'm driving down the road, rockin' out, windows down, and it smells like exhaust fumes are getting sucked into the cabin. The smell comes in waves. It's intermittent and sort of sweet smelling (van running rich?). Anyway, when I put the windows up I don't seem to have this problem. (If I do, the smell is lost in all the weird and wonderful normal odors of a 29 year old van).

To me, it sounds like with the windows down and the van moving, I'm creating a vacuum where the exhaust is getting sucked in. I have a relatively small rust spot in the quarter panel in front of the exhaust outlet. It looks like it was patched up by the previous owner. Could the fumes be getting sucked up underneath, through there? Even though it doesn't *look* that bad/big? Could the seals in the windows be shot? Perhaps there are some small holes in the exhaust (it's the original). Even if there were holes in the exhaust, I'm not sure if this would, alone, result in fumes getting sucked into the interior without a hole in the body or window seals or something.

Anyone deal with this issue before? The smell isn't horrible but it probably could be dangerous. I was definitely feeling a little light headed after awhile, and not in a good way. Would hate pass out and flip my van into a ditch. What a pitiful -- albeit stylin' -- way to go.

Thanks in advance.....

Re: Exhaust fumes getting me stoned
VanSolo #700177 November 27th 2015 11:56 am
My 1st thought would be the rear door seals are shot.

2nd is there is a hole on the floor near the rear.

3rd exhaust manifold leak & its coming thru thru fire wall.

SUNSHINE VANS-VAN DIEGO
ADRENALIN BY THE GALLON & CHASIN RACIN
ONE FOR THE DIRT & ONE FOR THE STREETS
'93 CHEVY G30 454 4X4 SPORTVAN EXT 146" WB
'92 CHEVY G30 454 BEAUVILLE EXT 146" WB
VanSolo #700200 November 27th 2015 10:50 pm
M
M
Aside from above answer...Do you have push out windows in your rear doors? My 77 G20 had push out windows that would suck in the exhaust fumes that would draft up when going down the road. Or, the engine box isn't sealed well.

VanSolo #700208 November 28th 2015 1:48 am
V
VanSolo Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
V
Thanks guys. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a combination of a couple of the above items.

A couple quick questions/thoughts:

The engine box seems to be sealed alright, but is there something that can be added to give it an extra tight seal? Same for the rear door seals. They look good enough, but any recommendations to give it a REALLY tight seal? Just replace the weather stripping? Anything that can be combined with what's there?

Yes, I do have push out windows. But I'm getting these fumes in the cabin even when they're closed. All I need to do is open one window (any window) and they're getting drawn in. Almost like a vacuum phenomenon, which presupposes there's another hole in the vehicle (I really need to check for a hole somewhere in the floor, this is totally possible).

Finally, I looked again at the rust spot. It was a sub-par patch job and is on the quarter panel near the exhaust pipe outlet. It's bigger than I stated earlier. I was going to have that fixed properly when I did a whole paint job and have thus been putting it off. Any recommendations to try to improve the patch job short of cutting, grinding, etc. Just something to get by and to see if that's the culprit? Like I said, it's already "patched" but it could probably be better.

VanSolo #700215 November 28th 2015 10:23 am
I had the same issue as in the van in my picture. I sold it because I couldn't figure out why I was getting fumes in the cab as well. Well the new owner found out why and I kick myself in the ass. The doors had little drain holes in the bottom and the fumes came in there. He filled the holes with caulk and the problem went away...

[Linked Image]
74 Ford 1 Ton Supervan

Always Looking for the Next one, Trades or Barter...

In a World Full of Copy Cats, be an Original...
VanSolo #700220 November 28th 2015 10:36 am
Those drain holes need to be there for condensation to drain out of the door so it wont fill with water/condensation. I dont believe him in what he told you. The door panels would stop the air flow into the cabin. That van that had the drain holes filled WILL slowly rust away.

My next thought was the dog house seal.

SUNSHINE VANS-VAN DIEGO
ADRENALIN BY THE GALLON & CHASIN RACIN
ONE FOR THE DIRT & ONE FOR THE STREETS
'93 CHEVY G30 454 4X4 SPORTVAN EXT 146" WB
'92 CHEVY G30 454 BEAUVILLE EXT 146" WB
VanSolo #700221 November 28th 2015 12:44 pm
Originally Posted by VanSolo
Yes, I do have push out windows. But I'm getting these fumes in the cabin even when they're closed.

How are the seals on the pop out windows & is the hard ware that keeps them closed loose ?

VanSolo #700255 November 28th 2015 8:03 pm
V
VanSolo Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
V
@frscke: seals seem okay to me. Like I've said, it's 29 years old so there are a bunch of things that could probably stand a "refresh" but yeah, they seem okay. The hardware is in good shape.

HOWEVER, the dog house/engine seal could be better. Could the combination of a "leaky" dog house and, say, front windows down, cause this vacuum action? I don't really smell anything with the windows up, so if the dog house were that leaky then wouldn't I be getting slapped in the face with a lot of different fumes all the time?

It's worth mentioning again that the smell isn't constant. I'm driving with the windows down, everything is normal, and boom! This wave of sweet smelling exhaust. Then it goes away and a couple minutes later...boom! Fumes again. Does the intermittent nature tell you anything?

@Lonnie: That scares me that you had to sell! That would suck. It's kind of an interesting mystery that I feel like I'm going to crack, but I can see how someone might feel they just need to move on because there are so many variables and it's takes a lot of detective work. I know what frscke is saying about the drain holes. That's an intentional design, so there had to be something else latent that was going on.

Yeah guys, I've put in a lot of work and $$$ so far to get this beast going. I figure if someone can take a bare frame and a box of parts and resurrect an old van, I can't let this stop me. Thank you for caring enough to respond. Wish we were close enough for a round of beers...

VanSolo #700263 November 29th 2015 12:46 am
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
When you mention a "sweet" smell, that makes me think of glycol coolant leak... is your radiator, radiator cap, or water pump leaking and the coolant being blown back onto your exhaust manifolds? that would sure put the source ahead of the van, so ram air more than vacuum would be at work in the fumes entering the cabin...

The drains in the doors do need to be there, as previously stated. Especially on the front doors where more water can seep through the glass run channels/window sweeps.

Many vehicles placed an adhesive plastic sheet over the various openings on the cabin side of the door panels to prevent moisture from reaching the cosmetic door coverings. This barrier would also reduce air infiltration a little. If anyone serviced your window regulators, they likely would have removed this plastic if it had ever been there.

I'm not the world's greatest on Chevys, but at that vintage you should have vapor canisters. Check their hoses quite closely for any splits; leaks there could upset your mixture in a cyclic way.

-It's been such a LONG TIME... BlueShift>> 1981 Dodge Ram B250 Custom Sportsman Maxi Van

[Linked Image]

It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts...

Are you living to work, or working to live?

[Linked Image]

Learning from my own mistakes is good, learning from yours would be much better! [Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (Wedgy), 20 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 130
CatFish 28
frscke1 28
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,747