1987 G20 Gypsy
by SDMickey - March 25th 2024 9:39 pm
Featured Links

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
High top maintenance/repair... Need to identify strange material !?
#707936 May 02nd 2016 3:37 am
T
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
T

I finally decided to get started on the fiberglass roof on my van. This is one of the things on the repair list for my restoration project. On the passenger side of the roof just above the sliding door it seems that some of the millions of screws that hold down the roof to the van became rusted and loose. This resulted in a gap allowing all kinds of weather to get inside the van. And boy oh boy, I sure opened the flood gates on myself.

So I started to peel off the rubber belt or cover from the aluminum rail around the roof top. The black rubber belt is a bit faded but it's in good condition and can be reused no problem once I clean it.

[Linked Image]

After removing the aluminum rail which is three parts. I found a strange clay like material underneath it. The same material was also placed between the fiberglass and the metal edges of the cut original roof. I've hit all the hardware stores here looking for this material with no luck. Nobody even knows what it is.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Can you guys tell me what it is? Perhaps I can mail order it from the states if it's that necessary.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The other alternative I found is a brown color silicone sealant. It's very close to the color of the van and it's waterproof so I guess I can use it to seal the edges around the top. But I will need a lot more if I'm going to attach the aluminum rails to the fiberglass with it. As the rail does not sit flat and some kind of thick filler must be used in between which is the thing I'm asking about.

All these rusted screws will be replaced with new stainless steel screws of course.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is the loose part of the roof top...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

1989 Chevy G20 Starcraft Van (restoration in progress).
[Linked Image]
AdSense long
Re: High top maintenance/repair... Need to identify strange material !?
TQ89Chevy #707937 May 02nd 2016 3:53 am
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
It reminds me of old dried out bathtub or window caulking. It gets hard and brittle like what appears to be the case in your pictures. It can be had in tube cartridges for easy application, but there are far better products available now, such as the Silicon sealer you located. Another option would be Butyl Rubber, which comes in several forms, one of which is similar to the Silicon sealer, and another is a flat tape, ribbon, or strip, used in seams like yours. In the USA, shops which sell supplies to repair automobiles sell a lot of it. Another source would be shops which sell supplies to support house trailers / caravans, and recreational vehicles.

Last edited by Ram4ever; May 02nd 2016 3:58 am. Reason: more details

-It's been such a LONG TIME... BlueShift>> 1981 Dodge Ram B250 Custom Sportsman Maxi Van

[Linked Image]

It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts...

Are you living to work, or working to live?

[Linked Image]

Learning from my own mistakes is good, learning from yours would be much better! [Linked Image]
TQ89Chevy #707938 May 02nd 2016 4:06 am
W
veteran
veteran
W
Man you are lucky they used those screws. They are actually incredible strong screws, even rusted. i saved many of them and they are the choice screw i reuse elsewhere where strength is required.

My starcraft conversion roof used standard drywall screws which rust instantly when breathed upon, and these started the roof gutter rust battle and the war I am destined to lose.

The screws along the leading edge of the roof are trying to pierce sheet metal at a super tangential angle, and often they grab nothing, and do nothing but scratch the paint down to bare steel. Of the 14 or some such number of screws holding my roof down, only 4 actually made it into steel and achieved anything.

As far as what was originally used between aluminum and fiberglass, I do not know.

I did not care about appearance and discarded the aluminum strip and trim piece and used self drilling #8 stainless steel sheet metal screws with captive washer and O ring. All the hexagonal bolt heads are quite visible around roof perimeter, every 4 inches.

What I would use in your situation, is some type of weather stripping product listed on this page:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-rubber-weatherstripping-strips/=128d0e0

Look for good UV resistance.

I'd recommend against silicone caulk to fill the gaps, It will eventually fail, and leak, and nothing sticks to silicone, not even more silicone, so complete mechanical removal and then a solvent to clean the paint will be required to reapply more of it which will also eventually fail. Lather rinse repeat, shake fist at sky, throw tools, ect

TQ89Chevy #707939 May 02nd 2016 4:15 am
T
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
T
Well, untill we figure out what's the most suitable material to use. I will continue gutting out the inside of the roof and install some heat insulation. The walls in the van are filled with fiberglass wool but there is nothing on the roof. This will also give me even more access to the edges from the inside to seal it properly all around. I should do the job properly or forget all about it otherwise.

[Linked Image]
TQ89Chevy #707940 May 02nd 2016 4:24 am
W
veteran
veteran
W
Then I'd pull all the screws and lift the roof off of the roof gutters. you can rest it on 2x4s, and slide it to the side a few inches and have dirext access to the upper rails and roof gutters for rust treatment and possibla application of new seam sealer.

Hope you do not discover too much rust in the gutters, what you can see is very little of what there will actually be.

My favorite rust treament product is Ospho:

http://www.ospho.com/directions.htm

I hear Rust Bullett is a great rust preventative paint.

Of course I have no idea what products are available in your part of the world. All I can say is I wished I used better products/ paint when I last had my roof lifted for rust treatment.

Did you decide on a path forward on your headlight upgrade in your correspondence with Daniel Stern?

wrcsixeight #707941 May 02nd 2016 4:52 am
T
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by wrcsixeight
Then I'd pull all the screws and lift the roof off of the roof gutters. you can rest it on 2x4s, and slide it to the side a few inches and have dirext access to the upper rails and roof gutters for rust treatment and possibla application of new seam sealer.

Hope you do not discover too much rust in the gutters, what you can see is very little of what there will actually be.

My favorite rust treament product is Ospho:

http://www.ospho.com/directions.htm

I hear Rust Bullett is a great rust preventative paint.

Of course I have no idea what products are available in your part of the world. All I can say is I wished I used better products/ paint when I last had my roof lifted for rust treatment.

Did you decide on a path forward on your headlight upgrade in your correspondence with Daniel Stern?

Not much products available here. They only get fast moving items as they are just retailers here. No manufacturers.

As for the lighting. I am thinking of upgrading and improving the headlights wiring as recommended by Daniel Stern. If his custom made wiring harness is reasonably priced I will buy it from him. Otherwise I will gather the parts and make my own.

[Linked Image]
TQ89Chevy #707943 May 02nd 2016 4:59 am
T
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
T

Power drill battery fully charged... Check coffee

[Linked Image]

Cold beer in the fridge... Check cheers

[Linked Image]

I'm good to go. Let's remove some interior wooden panels.

Actually it's too hot right now. I'm gonna do it in the afternoon. beer

[Linked Image]
TQ89Chevy #707948 May 02nd 2016 7:06 am
M
veteran
veteran
M
That sealant or caulking, comes in roll form and can be found at an RV - camping trailer sales parts place. The stuff is similar to bathroom rope caulking or duct seal.

TQ89Chevy #707950 May 02nd 2016 7:10 am
T
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
T
There is an Ace hardware here. Will try them tomorrow. They could have this stuff.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Astro, nautic1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (MufflerMan Mike), 13 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 130
CatFish 28
frscke1 28
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,747