1987 G20 Gypsy
by SDMickey - March 25th 2024 9:39 pm
Featured Links

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 35 of 37 1 2 33 34 35 36 37
Re: Walter's (95 Dodge B2500) restoration plans...
RamVan2500 #711870 July 24th 2016 6:19 am
R
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
Well yesterday morning I drove up to st.aug to pickup some bolts, nuts, and washer from the tractor supply so I could install the rear seat belt bar to the vehicle. I had to take up the rear part of the carpet and then drill holes into the frame and floor (ehh), but I coated the holes with zinc spray. After installation I coated the outside with asphalt to seal it from water. I also vacuumed the inside of the van, installed a seat and installed the step well lighting. I tested the lighting this morning (have to replace a fuse), only one bulb is burnt out. I will have to address that bulb later. I installed only one seat because I am going on a trip out of state with two other people, so I need to keep the space.

I tested the vhs player, damn thing wouldn't give the tape back. I opened it up found a spring had spring, so I have to fix that... One thing after the other.

Oh I also used the remaining carpet scraps to make some carpet mats for the rear. I want to get them overlocked eventually. Oh the carpet I bought was 12x20, I cut it in half for 2 12 by 20s, this is good enough for one more carpet job!

Here are some photos:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2IjmQ5Cc2XGTkR1QllFbnFpbU0

I leave on my trek first of august. I am going to be traveling atleast 3000 miles, probably closer to 4500-5000. I think that is a decent test drive lol. I have already put 1100 miles on Walter since I had the alignment done, that was about 17 days ago I think. I wonder if I really did put 1100 miles on it or if my speedo/odo is in the twilight zone! All I know is that I have been getting about 18MPG! Not bad for the vintage and size.

RamVan2500 #711901 July 25th 2016 11:14 am
R
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
Fixed the speedo. Electrical is a bit better this time. Van gets so cold I love it. I was sitting in the back while waiting for the ace hardware to open. Now I am contemplating taking the van back to the dealer so they can check the alignment. The upper control arm bolts weren't torqued to specs which tells me they never did check and or adjust the camber and caster, because I torqued the control arms down 100 lb-ft which is less than half when I installed the new control arms! I doubt the angles were spot on. I just bolted the control arms down, I didn't eyeball align them. I GIVE A DAMN because I don't like replacing tires often. Every 3-5 years is too often to be replacing tires because they are only worn on one side.

RamVan2500 #711920 July 25th 2016 4:38 pm
R
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
I stopped by the dealer. I have an appointment for 10AM Wednesday. They are going to take a look at it and check everything. I replaced the temp gauge when I put the speedo back together. The gauges seem to function better now. I think the old temp gauge was causing some shorts in the instrument cluster which was causing some issues.

Monday I am leaving for my road trip. I'll have to make a new thread covering that as I make my stops during my one month trek.

RamVan2500 #711999 July 27th 2016 1:08 pm
R
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
Well today I took Walter to the dealer to have them check the alignment again. See when I installed the upper control arms I only installed them matching the impressions from the old control arms and then torqued the control arms down 100 lb-ft temporarly just as the manual states. So when I got the first alignment the front end was within manufacture specs in caster and camber. The toe was the only adjustment made, so the dealer never torqued the upper control arms to 220 lb-ft as stated they had no reason since it didn't need adjustment. So I explained to them the upper bolts weren't torqued down, so they checked the alignment and it was pretty spot on and they proceeded to tighten those bolts. So Walter is basically genuinely ready to go Monday.

I INCLUDED PHOTOS OF THE ALIGNMENT SPECS.

I also bought a bike rack since the bike and dog cage cannot really fit in the back. So I assembled the rack yesterday and test fitted the bike to see if I needed to make some alterations. Today I went to the store to get bungee cord to stabilize the bike, tarp incase it rains, and a pool noodle to protect the bike and rack from rubbing against each other. I included photos of the rack and bike together. I got an orange noodle to match the bike and for visibility.

Today I am expect the internal frame injection coating to come. Tomorrow my bike tire and Friday the tubes.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2IjmQ5Cc2XGN09CWWkxQ1BiaVU

RamVan2500 #712161 July 30th 2016 12:30 pm
R
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
I ran into some trouble this morning. I went out to go to the auto part store to get an o-ring to fix my leaking dip stick tube. I am driving and kept hearing this metal on metal sound just like the brake pad wear clips. I heard it when braking and when hitting bumps. So I stopped at a gas station, to get gas, and took a look. I found that the front left brake caliper retainer clips broke and was scraping against the inside of the wheel well. So I kept driving to the auto part store got the o-ring no problem, but they didn't have the brake hardware in stock. I went across the street to the other auto part store and they had it in stock, 6.29 thank you and it does both sides! Then I picked up some trans fluid and motor oil just to top off. Got home replaced everything and then washed Walter. Topped off all fluids, checked wheel nut torque.

Moral of this story, just when you think you are ready you find out you really are not! Now I think I am ready. I checked everything for leaks and all is well, topped off all fluids. Tomorrow night I am filling up the tank and loading with cargo. Monday morning I am going to adjust tire pressure, start engine and let it cool the interior and then load the last couple items and hit the road.

I am making a trip with about 15 stops and a total distance of 4203 miles!

Oh Walter passed the 160,000 mile mark today!

RamVan2500 #712348 August 02nd 2016 6:47 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Best wishes for a successful and enjoyable trip! You sure have an ambitious shake down cruise.

Take a torque wrench, and to be on the safe side, your service manual! Not so many places along the road know what to do with a vintage van anymore.

BTW, how'd the frame injection coating turn out?

-It's been such a LONG TIME... BlueShift>> 1981 Dodge Ram B250 Custom Sportsman Maxi Van

[Linked Image]

It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts...

Are you living to work, or working to live?

[Linked Image]

Learning from my own mistakes is good, learning from yours would be much better! [Linked Image]
Ram4ever #712402 August 03rd 2016 1:39 pm
R
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
Originally Posted by Ram4ever
Best wishes for a successful and enjoyable trip! You sure have an ambitious shake down cruise.

Take a torque wrench, and to be on the safe side, your service manual! Not so many places along the road know what to do with a vintage van anymore.

BTW, how'd the frame injection coating turn out?

Thanks. I am in New Jersey now. Monday I left at 6AM drove for 12 hours to North Carolina. I was supposed to stop off to visit a relative in North Carolina and I did, but quickly got lost and then a county cop pulled me over (because I have Florida plates and was in a "black" neighborhood known to have drug issues. The cop asked the usual and then asked if he could check inside the vehicle. I told him I don't have anything to hide, but it's a pain to repack everything. So he insisted to use the K9 and I said yeah go head. They checked and no drugs like I said and they let us on our way after about 30 minutes. I continued to drive, no GPS no phone signal, eventually I found a state cop asked him how to get back onto i95 and proceeded to. Eventually I got onto i95 and went to a motel 6 on truck stop road in NC.

Tuesday I drove from NC to Virginia stopped off for a big lunch at a little restaurant on the water. I took the Chesapeake Bay Tunnel-Bridge to avoid hell (Washington traffic). Had two double shrimp salads, a pound of grilled shrimp, and flounder. Then I hopped on the highway and made it into Delaware. First hotel I found on my GPS was non existent, the 2nd hotel was booked, finally found a third hotel in Newark Delaware. Reminded me of the ghetto... Now I am in Livingston NJ town I grew up in.

I would stop for fuel every half tank. When I would fill up from half tank it costs me about 25 dollars. I'm getting about 16-18MPG with the A/C on. I thought I was getting 18 but the math says 16. Eitherway I have only put about 125 bucks in so far. Walter has been using a little oil, so far I have only had to add 3/4 a quart since I left and it's been a rough ride. Especially in NJ on the turnpike and in these small towns with roads that have pot holes the size of swimming pools!

I didn't take my torque wrench or service manual. I know this van pretty inside out. I brought enough tools to fix just about anything minor to semi-major. So far it's been good, only a bad voltage regulator but I override it by turning the A/C system onto max.

The frame injection coating went well lol I got the stuff in my hair and it is certainly a phenolic resin because it does not come out. I injected the front end repair area, the rear end repair area and some parts of the frame where the front frame extension meets the frame rail. The factory welds seemed rusty so I figured why not empty the can inside the frame rather than have it all dry out.

Van has been doing very well and the ride in the Carolinas was very very nice. I drive 65MPH cruise control on the highway and it's smooth as silk. It was so cold that the duct work under the dash was condensing and the ice I packed lasted over 12 hours! Everyone but me was wearing a some long sleeve clothing. It was comfy the suspension van very nice, but NJ has torn up my tired and suspension. Hell even the steering is acting up lol. I said to my mom, hey ma only NJ can cause the gauges to go nuts just like the people!

When I get to Vermont I am planning a trip to Rochester because I bought a Snap On MT3000 for 150 bucks, so I have to drive over to pick it up. I am very excited for a new toy/tool. I stopped by an auto shop I worked out when I was 10-11 and asked one of the employees I knew what his thoughts were. He has one and said 150 bucks pick it up!!!

I have been taking plenty of photos, mostly of Walter. The restaurant in Virginia I went to back 15 years ago, so did Walter lol. We actually are visiting all the same places we went 15 years ago when we got the van. Actually we got it in the year 2000. He was just a littlin' and had hair (paint and clear coat).

Thanks hope to hear from you guys soon

RamVan2500 #712509 August 04th 2016 9:48 pm
R
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
I'm in Brattleboro Vermont! I must say it's absolutely beautiful here! Sorry I haven't been uploading photos. Been doing more driving than photo taking and between unloading and loading the van finding time to upload photos haha....

So far walter has used up a full quart of oil in the whole trip, but it has been over 1400 miles and allot of accelerating and uphill driving. New Jersey was death on walter!

RamVan2500 #712512 August 04th 2016 10:16 pm
S
veteran
veteran
S
Hey from Florida, Glad to hear Walter is doing good, and your having a safe trip, send us some of that cool weather back down here. keep up with the fun, yay lol

Page 35 of 37 1 2 33 34 35 36 37

Moderated by  Astro, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (Wedgy), 20 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 130
CatFish 28
frscke1 28
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,747