Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: 87 G20 with a 305 Engine that runs like crap
BungoBass #713626 August 30th 2016 8:21 pm
G
G
I have had lots of 305s and never had one or seen one that didn't have shity cams

Hi im gopher i started vanning in 76 retiered form active runs if 97 live in ontario Alberta and BC so i know canadaian vaners all over canada and the US eneny one want to know how twisted i am ask Howerd doc MA from wa Wako from portland OR was vaning in the eastern US or Canada before 82
BungoBass #713640 August 31st 2016 3:02 am
OP Offline
Yeah, I've heard the stories about 305 cams going flat and bad castings. As long as she runs and I can get her smogged and registered I'm not really trippin. Make it down to the desert and back. I will more than likely end up upgrading to a 350 with an SM465 4 speed behind it, later on down the road. For now though, she runs pretty great. Nice and smooth, no misses or rough idle or odd cyclic noises. I think she'll be alright for the time being.

Now for a set of tires.

BungoBass #714097 September 12th 2016 6:22 pm
OP Offline
Alright! Got some tires on her, safe to drive on the road now so I took her out for a decent shakedown run. Runs like a champ, nice and smooth. Feel like a boat captain >;P yarr mateys.

Anyways so despite that she runs really good, I'm having an issue with the check engine light spitting out Code 44, Lean Signal at o2 sensor. This occurs while driving at constant speed, say 55 MPH down a long road. If I stop at a light for a couple minutes, behind a few cars or something, sometimes it'll shut off, sometimes it'll stay on. It will definitely turn back on once i've been driving at speed for a few minutes.

Any ideas what would cause this? I will say that I took her out for a pretty decent drive, bout 50 miles round trip plus some local errands, and she seems to be doing pretty well on fuel. The exhaust does kind of stink though, either unburnt fuel smell or kind of a sulfurous stanky egg smell.

One more thing, the exhaust puffs cyclically when she's warm and been driven for a bit. Bad exhaust valve?

Still needs some love but I'm happy to give. She's definitely on the up smile

BungoBass #714103 September 12th 2016 7:27 pm
OP Offline
Oh, My air doesn't work. flip the fan switch, no fans kick on. the selector slide for heat / ac I hear vacuum working inside as it moves, just nothing to push it. Also don't know if the AC pump engages. Anyone know anything about this?

BungoBass #714114 September 12th 2016 9:46 pm
S
veteran
veteran
S
Hey Bungo, Glad it's running good, thats a nice thing, enjoy man, bow bow yay cheers

BungoBass #725404 July 06th 2017 12:15 am
OP Offline
Well, here we are about a year later laugh she still running like a champ and gets me to work every day! She'll knock every once in a while though, not sure what that's about. Occasionally on start up, and one time when I was driving about 55mph down the road I was scared and pulled over. Seemed to go away after I filled up the tank and has never done it while driving since.

What really bothers me is how prone to failure the automatic transmission is.. The first one got me all the way down to the desert and -barely- back. I literally had to drive 4 hours straight because when I went to stop and get a drink, there was all sorts of crunch. I swore if I got rolling again I wouldn't stop til home.. And she complied. So, 3rd gear, 50mph, 4 hours and I can say I didn't get stranded ^^ hell of a scare though. She sat for a few months til I was able to locate a trans to swap, did that and got her rolling again but now this one seems close to death too. Or at least she sounds like it.. Swish swish swish up front, click-click click-click click-click somewhere behind. 3-4 stacked shift unless I'm in the throttle pretty good, and now shifting slightly hesitant. Bah, I knew it'd die eventually but I was hoping for 10k miles at least..

So I got a line on an NV4500 I might jump on. I gotta have some reliability, I don't wanna be scared my vehicle is gonna leave me hanging, and I hate to say it but if I don't trust her, perhaps I'm better off sending her down the river. Which is blasphemy, I know.. She ain't even been my home yet. But she is a rolling oven and hard on gas.. Neither reason having any bearing on my trust issues. I know with proper love and care she could do better on fuel, have air conditioning and insulated walls to keep the temperatures milder. notwithstanding.. She has been an absolute pleasure to drive. Super comfortable.. And it's nice to just be able to park under a tree, hop back in berth and recline.. Super comfortable seating. I also moved the bench from across the back to by the wall, so I don't have to hang my feet out the window to lay down. Way better. Much cargo room too. Just gotta figure out how to move belts and anchor.. But before that, I'm tearing out all the interior, getting into the walls and insulating them, as well as running a couple extra 12v ports to provide more convenient power. Also, I must set up an auxiliary battery tray under the framerail, with an isolator so I can charge but not accidentally drain. Move the aux fuse box to that and it'll be disco.. Power a little TV and my PS3 for entertainment, nothing major. Perhaps run some soft light LED rails for better, more efficient lighting. And most definitely new carpet.. That old carpets kinda funky.

I got a lot of dreams for her, to be sure.. But a vehicle is only as good as she still drives reliably, so I gotta get that up to snuff.

Anyways.. Two cents from anyone? Advice, concerns, recommendations for improvement? A slap for good measure perhaps?

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 12 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users