A few general questions about the B's
#714747 September 27th 2016 4:31 pm
A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Hi there...I am new around here.

I am actually wanting to build a "dajiban" style van, but there is such limited information out there.

I am curious if anyone has any link, if any of the vans models shared anything with other models produced by Dodge. My assumption is that they share many similarities to their truck counter parts, which have much larger aftermarket offerings.

For example, I will need to lower it, so wondering if kits that fit possibly a truck would fit the van? Another example would be brake upgrades. If they shared the same braking components as other more popular models, in theory they should fit the van...I would assume.

Another thing I would like to do is engine swap it. Maybe find a much newer model of motor and swap it in. Would it be fairly straight forward or are we talking tens of thousands of dollars?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: A few general questions about the B's
arrested_decay #714748 September 27th 2016 4:38 pm
carpal tunnel
carpal tunnel
Ya mean like this:
[Linked Image]Dajiban3 by Chadsci, on Flickr

Chads thread on his project is here:
https://www.vanning.com/threads/ubbthreads.php/topics/657898/1

arrested_decay #714750 September 27th 2016 6:24 pm
Welcome to the site Arrested Decay ....

SUNSHINE VANS-VAN DIEGO
ADRENALIN BY THE GALLON & CHASIN RACIN
ONE FOR THE DIRT & ONE FOR THE STREETS
'93 CHEVY G30 454 4X4 SPORTVAN EXT 146" WB
'92 CHEVY G30 454 BEAUVILLE EXT 146" WB
arrested_decay #714765 September 28th 2016 1:22 am
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Hi Arrested_Decay, welcome aboard!

I gather you don't have a van yet?

Do you have your sights set on a particular year or model of van? There were several major increments in the production, with changes of features and components taking place at those times. 1977/1978 was one of the big ones for the vintage "B" vans for instance.

As you speculated, many of the components are cross compatible; they call the vans "light trucks", and the vans appear in the same Dealership parts catalog as the various trucks, clear up to the mid-size delivery trucks. The Dakota, Ramcharger, Warlock, Lil Red Truck, certain Jeeps, and others use many of the very same parts as B vans.

There are several members who have lowered their vans; it can be done well enough they can be used as daily drivers. A site search for lowering will turn up some good info. The overall wheel alignment generally suffers, so accelerated tire wear and a more squirrelly ride may follow.

Lowering may *require* a change in brakes, and yes, brakes can swap between certain models.

Engine swaps in B vans are moderately easy, depending on what you want to do. The engines were intended to be lifted out via hoist, with the carburetors removed and the hoist bolted in their place via an adapter plate.

But if you're talking "newer", that generally equates to "with fuel injection/computer", so depending on the relative vintages of the vans, you may have a lot of transplanting to do, especially if antilock brakes and remote door locks and such were handled by the computer.

Many Vanners have simply retained the original ECU ignition system, transplanted in a big block crate 360 from Mopar Performance, possibly changing to a torquier cam, strapped on a new intake manifold, such as an Edelbrock performer, then added the carb of their choice, lit up their tires and rolled their flying bricks on down the road...

There are quite a few transmissions and rear end gear ratios to chose from too. The 3-speed automatic 727 can be swapped out for one with overdrive, though that requires shortening the drive shaft and swappping in a different transmission support bracket.

Keep reading; there are plenty of choices to be made between options!

A good source of general and historical information on Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep is http://www.allpar.com/

Here is a direct link to their Dodge vans section:
http://www.allpar.com/trucks/dodge-ram-vans.html

-It's been such a LONG TIME... BlueShift>> 1981 Dodge Ram B250 Custom Sportsman Maxi Van

[Linked Image]

It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts...

Are you living to work, or working to live?

[Linked Image]

Learning from my own mistakes is good, learning from yours would be much better! [Linked Image]
CatFish #714772 September 28th 2016 10:53 am
A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Originally Posted by CatFish
Ya mean like this:
[Linked Image]Dajiban3 by Chadsci, on Flickr

Chads thread on his project is here:
https://www.vanning.com/threads/ubbthreads.php/topics/657898/1

I did see that. It provides a little info. but not a ton. Thank you for the reply.

frscke1 #714773 September 28th 2016 10:54 am
A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Originally Posted by frscke1
Welcome to the site Arrested Decay ....

Thank you!

Ram4ever #714774 September 28th 2016 11:23 am
A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Originally Posted by Ram4ever
Hi Arrested_Decay, welcome aboard!

I gather you don't have a van yet?

Do you have your sights set on a particular year or model of van? There were several major increments in the production, with changes of features and components taking place at those times. 1977/1978 was one of the big ones for the vintage "B" vans for instance.

As you speculated, many of the components are cross compatible; they call the vans "light trucks", and the vans appear in the same Dealership parts catalog as the various trucks, clear up to the mid-size delivery trucks. The Dakota, Ramcharger, Warlock, Lil Red Truck, certain Jeeps, and others use many of the very same parts as B vans.

There are several members who have lowered their vans; it can be done well enough they can be used as daily drivers. A site search for lowering will turn up some good info. The overall wheel alignment generally suffers, so accelerated tire wear and a more squirrelly ride may follow.

Lowering may *require* a change in brakes, and yes, brakes can swap between certain models.

Engine swaps in B vans are moderately easy, depending on what you want to do. The engines were intended to be lifted out via hoist, with the carburetors removed and the hoist bolted in their place via an adapter plate.

But if you're talking "newer", that generally equates to "with fuel injection/computer", so depending on the relative vintages of the vans, you may have a lot of transplanting to do, especially if antilock brakes and remote door locks and such were handled by the computer.

Many Vanners have simply retained the original ECU ignition system, transplanted in a big block crate 360 from Mopar Performance, possibly changing to a torquier cam, strapped on a new intake manifold, such as an Edelbrock performer, then added the carb of their choice, lit up their tires and rolled their flying bricks on down the road...

There are quite a few transmissions and rear end gear ratios to chose from too. The 3-speed automatic 727 can be swapped out for one with overdrive, though that requires shortening the drive shaft and swappping in a different transmission support bracket.

Keep reading; there are plenty of choices to be made between options!

A good source of general and historical information on Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep is http://www.allpar.com/

Here is a direct link to their Dodge vans section:
http://www.allpar.com/trucks/dodge-ram-vans.html

You are correct...I do not have a van yet. I am looking specifically at 1994-1997 years. Because of the body style. Either the B150 or B250, probably which ever one might have the most cross compatible parts options.

So I am trying to figure out what would be cross compatible. I have read through some allpar stuff, but maybe I am just not in the right area to see what crosses well between models.

I would prefer a fuel injected motor, but I do not believe the years I am looking at comes with that option.

As for the lowering, I am fine with some odd and excessive tread wear, but my hope is that it being cross compatible, would allow for some parts that are meant for lowering to be used and minimize the issues with alignment.

arrested_decay #714829 September 29th 2016 3:25 am
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Sounds like you've got *lots* more studying ahead of you!

And while an outlay of tens of thousands isn't likely necessary, what you're talking about can't be done totally on the cheap either, especially if you don't like being stranded in the boondocks or hospitalized. These are heavy vehicles, and the older ones were designed back when speed limits were much lower.

If Allpar hasn't provided what you want to learn, I'd suggest you start with sites like this one, which specializes in information about swapping magnum engines:

http://www.magnumswap.com/

The information there should get you acquainted with some of the issues and options you'd face with swapping a big Dodge engine.

If you'd like to see some of the nitty gritty of a Dodge van restoration in exquisite detail, check out the Walter van of vanning.com member RamVan2500 - he's posted a genuine treasure of pictorial information taken during his total restoration, and his detailed descriptions and explanations of his reasoning could nearly be taken as a "how-to" guide.

Possibly the simplest way to look at the B series nomenclature is in terms of load capacity. B1nn was the lightest, about 1/2 ton , B2nn was midrange about 3/4ton, and B3nn was heavy duty about 1 ton. I say "about", because there was some overlap, due to options and application. I believe the "50" designation showed up in their later model numbers, such as B250, to differentiate from the earlier models, the B100, B200 & B300.

I hope someone will correct me if I'm not quite right, but I believe the B3 series mostly had a floating rear axle, with 8-lug wheels. Dana 70 rear ends come to mind. Those Danas could also be had in a dually configuration, though there aren't many vans with duallies. I was tempted to put one under my van when a friend with a Dodge trans van wanted to sell it to me fro cheap, but I had just totally overhauled my heavy duty version Chrysler 9-1/4" rear end, so I passed on it.

I forgot to mention something important in my previous post which might benefit you directly; that Espo Springs n' Things offers custom leaf springs with 1" or 2" raise or lowering of ride; that should help substantially with the rear end. http://www.springsnthings.com/leaf-spring.htm

They also sell custom height lift or lowering coil springs. http://www.springsnthings.com/coil-spring.htm

-It's been such a LONG TIME... BlueShift>> 1981 Dodge Ram B250 Custom Sportsman Maxi Van

[Linked Image]

It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts...

Are you living to work, or working to live?

[Linked Image]

Learning from my own mistakes is good, learning from yours would be much better! [Linked Image]
Ram4ever #714843 September 29th 2016 12:05 pm
A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Originally Posted by Ram4ever
Sounds like you've got *lots* more studying ahead of you!

And while an outlay of tens of thousands isn't likely necessary, what you're talking about can't be done totally on the cheap either, especially if you don't like being stranded in the boondocks or hospitalized. These are heavy vehicles, and the older ones were designed back when speed limits were much lower.

If Allpar hasn't provided what you want to learn, I'd suggest you start with sites like this one, which specializes in information about swapping magnum engines:

http://www.magnumswap.com/

The information there should get you acquainted with some of the issues and options you'd face with swapping a big Dodge engine.

If you'd like to see some of the nitty gritty of a Dodge van restoration in exquisite detail, check out the Walter van of vanning.com member RamVan2500 - he's posted a genuine treasure of pictorial information taken during his total restoration, and his detailed descriptions and explanations of his reasoning could nearly be taken as a "how-to" guide.

Possibly the simplest way to look at the B series nomenclature is in terms of load capacity. B1nn was the lightest, about 1/2 ton , B2nn was midrange about 3/4ton, and B3nn was heavy duty about 1 ton. I say "about", because there was some overlap, due to options and application. I believe the "50" designation showed up in their later model numbers, such as B250, to differentiate from the earlier models, the B100, B200 & B300.

I hope someone will correct me if I'm not quite right, but I believe the B3 series mostly had a floating rear axle, with 8-lug wheels. Dana 70 rear ends come to mind. Those Danas could also be had in a dually configuration, though there aren't many vans with duallies. I was tempted to put one under my van when a friend with a Dodge trans van wanted to sell it to me fro cheap, but I had just totally overhauled my heavy duty version Chrysler 9-1/4" rear end, so I passed on it.

I forgot to mention something important in my previous post which might benefit you directly; that Espo Springs n' Things offers custom leaf springs with 1" or 2" raise or lowering of ride; that should help substantially with the rear end. http://www.springsnthings.com/leaf-spring.htm

They also sell custom height lift or lowering coil springs. http://www.springsnthings.com/coil-spring.htm

Thanks for more great info.

After reading some more last night, it looks like I will be going with either the 1/2 or 3/4 ton, no 1 ton...I do not need that much van and I want 5-lug for wheel options. I am likely leaning towards the 1/2 ton, but would like the 5.9 and A/C, so it might mean me moving into the 3/4 ton.

I guess cheap is all relative. I am ok spending $8-10k on parts (I believe that should be plenty...but could be wrong and I will provide all the labor) to get this van to where I want it to be. Which will be far from perfect. I will be wrapping the van, so no paint work and I am ok with some dents and signs of wear...I believe it adds to the character. This is not a show van by any means.

Also, this will not be daily driver. This will likely be around town to pick up stuff that doesn't fit in our cars (lumber, house remodel stuff, furniture, etc). I have towing through insurance and I have triple A, so it shouldn't pose to much of an issue.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Astro, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (Wedgy), 20 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 130
CatFish 28
frscke1 28
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,747