Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Back Up Camera/Brake light issues #MobyDickVan
#714847 September 29th 2016 2:31 pm
R
OP Offline
R
Hey Vanners, looking to exploit your knowledge.

Moby, my Chevy, is currently almost done being outfitted with an liveable interior. I recently had a double-din audio receiver installed by a friend and he left the AV wire and a positive coming from the receiver for me to install the back up cam, which itself had a + and - as well as a male end to connect to said AV wire. I then connected all the positives and negatives to the left reverse light.

Well, I ran a test and the camera popped up on screen when put in reverse, so I connected it all up and ran the wires neatly thru the floor of the van.

The issue now has a couple symptoms and I'm looking for a diagnosis from the Vanning veterans:

- When putting the van in reverse, the screen toggles to reverse camera, but the volume of whatever I was listening to also increases

- When I put the right turn signal on, the screen goes dark and the volume increases

- My rear brake lights are no longer activated by my stepping on the brake pedal

- When my Night lights are on and I press on the brakes, both brake lights turn on intermittently as if was signalling a Hazard

I suspect this has something to do with me not having differentiated the upper (brake) and lower (reverse) cables of the left rear light unit. You'll see the I did

I've attached some photos as well as some glory shots that may help in figuring this out.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sorry for the bad focus
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thank you!

Romain Dompnier
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

'89 Chevy G20 5.7L V8 Starcraft High top
AdSense long
Re: Back Up Camera/Brake light issues #MobyDickVan
Romain89 #714907 October 01st 2016 1:21 am
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Tough call! I'll float several ideas in case they might help.

Sometimes it's necessary to install diodes in logic sense lines to prevent upsetting existing circuitry, such as turn signal and 4-way hazard light blinkers. People who tow trailers run into this issue with some frequency. Those circuits can be touchy, depending upon how they're implemented, especially when a computer is involved.

It may be that the grounds on your various devices aren't all at the same potential; perhaps one has a poor connection, so the current draw of your additional electronics modulates the current path excessively, creating voltage swings.

Sometimes stereo units don't appreciate having a speaker (-) terminal grounded; it may still function, but the amplifier may oscillate at audio through inaudible ultrasonic frequencies, which can create all manner of unpredictable and hard to track down havoc. Certain older Dodge vans in particular were guilty of using the chassis as the negative conductor for the speakers! Saved a few pennies in wire... Make sure your speaker wiring is correct for the specifications of your stereo.

Make sure all of the wiring attached to the stereo has its insulation intact, no screws (like from paneling) are puncturing any of the wiring, and that none of the terminals can contact the chassis.

You may have a corroded terminal in an electrical connector in those circuits, and it was only barely passing adequate current to begin with. The new additional current may have pushed it into excessive voltage drop/instability.

I'm not certain of the physical wiring in a Chevy van, but it looks like you may have lifted out the rear light buckets? I see some water droplets running down the body, and what appears to be blue masking tape on your splices... Did you crimp or solder the splices, or are they merely twisted together? Are you sure the wires haven't punched through the tape, and that the splices you made aren't submerged or have become waterlogged? Blue masking tape adhesive may not hold up for long either; has it fallen off?

On a Dodge van, the ground for both tail lights is a single screw which is also used to hold down the passenger side tail light lens and bucket! If you have that one screw loose or missing, the tail lights on both sides will become erratic or extinguish entirely! Any electronics tied to that circuit would get quite a ride when the turn signal or hazard light blinker circuit or brake light circuit was engaged. If there is a similar single failure point common to both tail lights on your Chevy van, it might bear some close scrutiny.

Are all of the bulbs installed correctly, and the socket contacts in good condition? Sometimes a bulb can be inserted in an incorrect way in a worn socket, especially a cheap import replacement bulb, which may not meet the dimensional specifications precisely. A faulty filament in a bulb, or a bulb of the incorrect type can seriously upset things as well.

I'd try putting a voltmeter on the various wires and take some readings and see whether any of the wires exhibit a voltage change which follows the audible and visible symptoms you've observed. If possible, take all voltage readings using the same ground reference point in the van, so the readings are directly comparable.

What a beautiful campsite! smile Thanks for the pictures.

Last edited by Ram4ever; October 01st 2016 2:06 am. Reason: more details

-It's been such a LONG TIME... BlueShift>> 1981 Dodge Ram B250 Custom Sportsman Maxi Van

[Linked Image]

It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts...

Are you living to work, or working to live?

[Linked Image]

Learning from my own mistakes is good, learning from yours would be much better! [Linked Image]
Romain89 #714909 October 01st 2016 7:57 am
Vanner
Vanner
I see a couple of pinched wires in a pile of spaghetti. Good luck with that.

I don't need to be honoured by Vanning, I am honoured to be Vanning !
Supporting Vanning, by going Vanning In A Van !
I hate it, when real life interferes with Vanning !
Van Clan Plus One, Vanning since 1977 !
Ontario Federation Of Truckers (Vanner's)
Ottawa Valley Vans
I.B.O.B.
Founder,Mixed Bag Truckers
Romain89 #715217 October 07th 2016 8:54 pm
U
Festerus Vannimus
Festerus Vannimus
U
Sorry, but those wiring pics you posted SCARE ME ! if thats what your "friend" did, he did you no favors. . .
I would also say, Check the grounds for the A/V System, maybe even running them all to one point. Next, get better connectors for the taped up mucks he made.
Add those to RAM4EVERs stuff, you SHOULD find the mess.
Best of luck and keep us posted.

My van : 1989 Ford E-150 Econoline, currently named “WOLF-DEN II”

Founder & President of Sooner or Later United Truckers and PROUD TO BE A S.L.U.T. ! !
Romain89 #715219 October 07th 2016 9:26 pm
In your 4th pic the wires running along the floor & into the rear wall. I would definitely pull the panels & run all the wires behind the wall.
In the 5th pic the wires should be under the carpet.

Maybe run the wires under the van rear to the ft for power & thru the fire wall for the display.

I agree your friend did you no favors. Except to see if it worked.

Last edited by frscke1; October 07th 2016 9:27 pm.

SUNSHINE VANS-VAN DIEGO
ADRENALIN BY THE GALLON & CHASIN RACIN
ONE FOR THE DIRT & ONE FOR THE STREETS
'93 CHEVY G30 454 4X4 SPORTVAN EXT 146" WB
'92 CHEVY G30 454 BEAUVILLE EXT 146" WB

Moderated by  Astro, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 17 guests, and 11 robots.